From this week:
- The 42nd Annual Ag Industry Dinner was held last night at Dover Downs. The 2013 Secretary’s Award for Distinguished Service to Agriculture went to……..Mr. Walter C. Hopkins, the dairy farmer from Lewes, Del. DDA posted a press release today as well as a Flicker site with pictures from the event. Guests were given this 2013 Calendar-Celebrating DE’s #1 Industry, featuring pictures of many local farmers and farm families:
My cousin, Jesse Vanderwende, is the January feature:
But I also loved the February picture of the Bennett family from Milton, Del. and April which showcased the budding Johnson family from Selbyville with their cute little piglets!
- On Wednesday, a wonderful news bulletin came out which announced “Waterkeepers will not appeal lawsuit“. More good news for the Hudson’s and all farmers on the East Coast!
- Feb. 7– DDA will have their the Joint Finance Committee Hearing, at Legislative Hall, from 1:30-2 pm.
- Feb. 8– This isn’t ag related, but in 2 weeks I’ll be at the “Chowdown for Charity“, at Bethany Blues in Lewes from 6-8 pm. A new group of young professionals (25-40 year olds) from Kent and Sussex counties, named TNG (The Next Generation), are fundraising for mental health charities. Perfect timing given the Governor’s emphasis on mental health professionals in schools in his proposed budget this week. Tickets are $40. Food will be BBQ. Lots of nice items will be in our silent auction. Come join us! Better yet, join the group! You can find us on Facebook or at http://www.delcf.org/TNG
- Feb. 15- Apparently Class III of the LEADelaware program has extended its deadline until this date. I’ve heard and read lots of great things about this program in Maryland. I hope Delaware can reinvigorate their’s.
- Feb. 22-23– Regional Women in Ag Conference will be held at Dover Downs. Register here!